Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Excerpts From The Dimidiums

I've mentioned that the Dimidiums, a fantasy romance series are a five book set. The Dimidiums are a secret race, half human and half vampire.



Currently, only Book One Bound by love is published and available. I am, however, looking for Beta Readers for books 3 through 5.

Here are short excerpts from all five books:

Book One Bound by Love
(In book one Trevor falls in love with a human. There are rules about this, the main one being marriage is imperative, so Trevor's keeping it a secret from everyone. The thing is, Trevor and his father Stefan hunt the worst criminals and they've seen nothing good in humans. In this scene, Lainie, also a Tracker, is angry about Trevor's nonchalant attitude and hatred of humans.)



“You and Stefan are made out of the same mold. Someday, someone’s going to break that mold, and all the better for us.”
They took the elevator to the fifth floor.
“I’m glad to be back,” said Lainie. “I’m off for a nice shower.”
“Is that an invitation?” Trevor teased.
Lainie smacked his arm. “You have a reputation, you know. I won’t be one of your throw away girls.”
“What makes you think I’d throw you away? Maybe I’d want to keep you. You want to spar before we shower?” He threw a light punch at her jaw.
“The way you love to provoke me and treat others of our kind, especially our women, and your hatred of humans is frustrating. One of these days karma will bite you in the ass and it will hurt. Then you’ll be sorry.”
“Mm. I’m sure to enjoy that. Delightful. I hope she’s a good biter. Do you have her phone number?”
Lainie faced him and tossed her hair back. She stared him down with her hands on her hips. “You just watch. I bet your punishment will be to fall in love with a human woman and marry her.”
“Change the subject.”
“She’ll steal your heart, but you won’t want it back, and you’ll ache for the rest of your life. Everything she says and does that hurts your feelings will crush you, but even worse, everything she’ll do to gratify you will make you hunger for her even more. You’ll wish you never met her, but you’ll never want to let her go. And you know what? You’ll deserve every minute of that stinging sweet and sour pain.”
His face turned stone-like. “Perhaps karma bit me already.”
“You’re impossible.”

(In Book Two, Blood Lust Trevor's love Janna is attacked by a vampire and a Dimidium suffering from Blood Lust and she's barely alive. Lainie's upset because she was supposed to be guarding Janna.)



“Janna,” Trevor begged. “Please don’t be dead. I love you. Janna, wake up.”
“She’s in stasis,” explained Ivarr.
“Who are you? Go away,” demanded Trevor. “Family only. No crazies.”
“Trevor,” chided Karla.
“You let some foolish old Halbling in here talking about some ancient tale of stasis?” asked Trevor.
“I’m a Dimidium,” corrected Ivarr.
“Good for you. Go away,” warned Trevor. Suddenly, he turned on Lainie, furious. “I trusted you. What happened?”
“It’s okay to kill me, Trevor. I did this to her. First I bite her, now this. I’m not afraid to die. I deserve it,” whispered Lainie. “Go ahead, but make it quick. I won’t fight.”
“What’s the matter with you?” Trevor grasped Lainie’s arms. “I asked you what happened.”
Jeffrey snarled, ready to defend his wife, but Trevor ignored him. Instead, he looked at Lainie’s miserable demeanor, and gripped her into a tight hug.
“It’s okay, Lainie. You can’t control another person’s path in life. Isn’t that one of the first lessons I taught you?”
“You’re squashing the boys,” said Lainie.
When he pulled back, he spoke gently. “Janna forgave you for biting her. I explained about the babies, and she was looking forward to your time together. She bought you homemade things that the human women made. I’ve got them in a suitcase in the car.”
“You don’t understand. I left her unguarded.” Lainie bit her bottom lip.
“What?” asked Trevor. “Why would you do a stupid thing like that?”
Jeffrey snarled again.
“Quiet, ogre,” said Trevor. “I can’t hear anything above your noise.”

(In Book Three, For Our Love, Trevor feels his personality is too difficult and so he chooses to walk away from Janna and camp in a South American Jungle. He's done it, as he puts it, 'for our love'. An unscrupulous human latches on to her and Trevor hears about it but is unsure what to do. He's visited by his Shaolin Master,

Shīzi.)


Trevor sat in silence. His eyes showed his emotional suffering.
“I saw your wife a while ago,” continued Shīzi. “At least I think it was her. She looked different and has lost much weight. At first it was hard to tell, but then she smiled, glad to see me, and called me by name.”
“Where was this?”
“A restaurant in Japan. A very exclusive restaurant, and yet all that she had in front of her was a small salad and a glass of wine.”
“Was she happy?”
“She was sitting with a successful business man who was conducting a meeting. He made sure I knew I wasn’t welcome at their table. She greeted me with tears in her eyes. She dabbed them delicately away with a charming lace handkerchief, making sure not to smear her makeup or get a smudge on the handkerchief.
“After she greeted me, she asked me how you were. She supposed you were with me. She looked around the restaurant with eager eyes. When she didn’t see you, her face expressed severe sorrow and loneliness. I noticed an emptiness in her, as if her own soul had left her. Sadly, I had to inform her that you hadn’t visited me. Tears formed in her eyes again, but she patted them gracefully away with her handkerchief. The gentleman chided her for her improper behavior in front of his guests and me. He corrected her often during my short visit.”
“But was she happy?”
“Are you not listening? Didn’t I say she had tears in her eyes? She supposed you were with me. You presume that she’s happy because she’s with a human male. She looked neither happy nor sad. She simply appeared to exist.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Life is meant to live, to explore, to conquer. You here in this place are only existing. She under that human’s manipulation is also only existing. The Universe declared you lovers and you walked away, unbalancing your lives.”
Trevor shrugged. “What else did she say?”
“Little else. As I said, he made it obvious that he didn’t like me. He scolded her for calling to me across the room, correcting her that she may only speak when given permission. I left after that, but as I walked away, he reminded her that she’s to break all ties with her husband’s friends and family because we don’t meet his standards. He advised her, in an unkind way, that she isn’t to mention your name again, that he’d warned her enough times and that he was losing his patience. Funny. I sensed no patience at all in him. I guess he doesn’t know how well Halblings hear.”

(In book four, The Curse of Eutychus, the family encounters an ancient formidable enemy. Trevor battles him and almost loses his life. His mother Karla and his two brothers and their wives, Ulrich and Trinity and Jeffrey and Lainie greet him when he's brought in. Trevor's the youngest sibling.)



They had just crossed over the hill and were heading down to the chateau when Jeffrey bounded towards them, his face wrought with fear and worry. He was running so fast and had run so far that his tongue hung partially out of his mouth. He grabbed Trevor into a tight hug.
“Ogre, you looked like an oversized puppy dog with its tongue hanging out running towards us. I thought you were going to bite me. Put me down, puppy dog. I’m already hurt. I don’t need you crushing me.”
But Jeffrey picked him up into his arms. “Make me. I’m carrying you, you big idiot. The rate you’re going, it’ll take you until next winter to make it to the door.”
Trevor lifted his Kon to smack his brother, but it clanged to the ground. Shīzi retrieved it and closed the two sides then handed it to Trevor.
“Thanks.” He whacked Jeffrey in the head.
“Couldn’t even feel it. You must be pretty weak.”
“Come on. Put me down. This is embarrassing.”
“Nope, Little Bro.”
They entered the chateau where Karla and Trinity were waiting anxiously. They kissed Trevor’s face over and over and clasped his hands and his arms, not letting go of him, their eyes filled with tears. Then both felt his stomach, head, arms, and legs.
“Mutti, Trinity, I’m fine. Stop groping me.”
“You big dork,” yelled Lainie as she smacked his arm. “You could have been killed.”
“Everyone, quit mauling me.”
“Trevor,” said Ulrich calmly, standing in front of him.
“Ulrich, you’re not going to hug me or grope me, are you?”
“Of course not.” Ulrich grabbed Trevor’s forehead and kissed it making a loud smacking sound.
“I’m not a baby,” complained Trevor, but his eyes rolled in his head again and he fainted.

In book five, The Tempest Tiger, changes are coming to the Dimidium race as the battles between vampires and Dimidiums come to an end, but not before loss and sadness grip the family more than once.)



Stefan observed his wife, who was visibly shaken. She blinked away the tears. “You have something to tell us that’s going to upset us about Trevor, don’t you?” asked Stefan carefully.
Karla squeezed her husband’s hand. “Yes, and it’s a dreadful secret that I’ve held all this time. It’s tearing me apart these days. I warn you to keep your voices down. No one can know, especially not Trevor. He’s got that explosive temper. I really never gave it much thought for years since there wasn’t a war and I didn’t think there ever would be one, but things are different now.”
“Ah, we’re discussing Trevor Ivarr and his future?” Ivarr had just entered the home. He pulled his chair out and sat down.
“This is not for you to hear,” said Karla curtly.
“Would it surprise you to know that Shīzi and I have known for longer than you have?”
“What is it?” asked Jeffrey. “My little Bro better not be dying or something.”
“It’s worse,” answered Karla. She sucked on her lips. “He told me that before Trevor turns one hundred, he’s to be sacrificed.”
Trinity inhaled sharply.
Janna grabbed her stomach. The wind was knocked out of her. It felt like she’d been punched hard. The resulting ruckus of objections from below was loud.
“Quiet. Keep your voices down,” begged Karla.
“Ain’t no way my little Bro is going to be sacrificed,” boomed Jeffrey.
“Jeffrey, please. Speak softer,” warned Karla.
“Well, I’m mad. How could you agree to it?” asked Jeffrey.
“Karla?” asked Stefan. “Something this important, and you didn’t ever mention it to me?”
“Or to any of us?” asked Ulrich angrily.

I hope you enjoyed these excerpts. I'd love to hear what you think, so please leave a comment below.
Book One can be purchased for 99cents from the following sources:


Samples of the book can be found at all the above sources. If you'd like to review the book, please let me know.

Love, Honor, and Respect to all of you. 









 

4 comments:

Roger Lawrence said...

It looks great and the excerpts are very readable due to the good layout.
Can't wait for more.

DM Yates said...

Thank you, Roger for your kind comment. Now, if I just had an ending that I liked...

Joleene Naylor said...

Love these!!

DM Yates said...

Thank you so much, Jo.