Affect Versus Effect Ethereal Versus Ephemeral Betrayed by DM Yates

There's no getting around it. English grammar is a complicated thing. Is there anyone who gets it right all the time?

Two words appear high on the errors list: affect and effect.

Affect is a verb. It means to have an effect on someone, to touch someone in some way.

Effect is a noun - to cause something to happen or a change or result because of an action.

If we just remember that affect is a verb and effect is a noun, we should have no problem.

Two words that I often mix up are:
ethereal - delicate, light, to perfect for this world

and

ephemeral - lasting for a short time, such as a plant.

What two words do you have problems with?

Read Part 1 of Chap 5 Betrayed, my latest novel on Wattpad: Wattpad Chapter 5 Betrayed
Follow me on Wattpad and read some of my poems and other stories. See you there.

Love, Honor, and Respect

Comments

Barbara Fisher said…
Hello Donna,
I confuse affect and effect all the time! When I produced my first book selling catalogue, I used the wrong spelling on many of the descriptions. Book selling friends were quick to point out my mistake, but it was very embarrassing. I do still get it wrong from time to time so your tips will be a great help. I’m going to copy and print and keep them on my desk to refer to next time I get in a muddle.

Do you ever transpose numbers? Yesterday I wrote down the time of a doctor's appointment as 9 to 10 instead of 10 to 9! I am dyslexic, so could do without age-related forgetfulness!

Have a lovely weekend. x
DM Yates said…
Barbara, thank you for commenting, and I'm so glad there are others like me. I also definitely transpose numbers. Misspellings abound when I get lost in my stories. As for forgetfulness, what were we talking about?

Popular posts from this blog

Life With Dragons Halloween Bat Toilet Paper Roll Craft Tutorial and Giveaway

Guest Post Author and Humorist Mark R Hunter

Review A Time for Everything by Mysti Parker