Friday, July 8, 2016

The Conundrum of English Words

Do you play online games? Most of us do these days. I don't have the time to get too caught up in the addictive games, so the only place you'll find me is in Pogo. Pogo was created by EA Games, a well-known game developer with such games as Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Madden 17, and StarWars Battlefront, to name a few.

Pogo has a variety of simple, quick games - puzzles, slot machines, card games, monopoly, battleship, zuma's revenge, bejeweled, etc. But my favorite games are their word games. I love Linguistics.


One thing I've discovered in their word games are unusual words or uncommon words for our time. For instance, when's the last time you heard someone use 'abed'?

yourdictionary.com gives this example: A pretty pickle, truly, thought I; abed here in a strange house in the broad day, with a cannibal and a tomahawk!

So, I've decided to list some of the more uncommon words and we'll see how good you are at knowing the meaning. If you want the quick way to find the definitions, just go to dmyates.weebly.com.

lam (a good word for writers)
auk
rhea
elan (another good word for writers)
alee
lac
ess
scrod

How about words we don't use much anymore? Think about the last time you used one of these:
staid
hymned (this is the past tense)
noes
akin

Word Whomp is my second favorite word game next to Boggle Bash and I also enjoy a good Scrabble game. Let's look at one of the Word Whomp puzzles:
NDDBEA
There are:
11 3-letter words
9   4-letter words
1    6-letter word

Again, you'll find the answer on my dmyates.weebly.com

You can play Pogo for free. You just have to deal with the ads. Or you can get a yearly subscription for $39.99. Join me there. You can find me under the name merri2dls, usually in a word game room.

LHR

No comments: